Earlier this evening I had the privilege of witnessing an event called a "fireball". It lasted several seconds, traversed most of the visible sky from my viewpoint, and had quite a long, bright tail.
Apparently a fireball is a very bright meteor. Meteors are objects burning up in the atmosphere; not to be confused with asteriods or meteoroids which are the same objects floating safely in space. Whether a meteor is described as a boloid or fireball depends on the intensity of light emitted. Here's a simple graphic that details the differences.
Now I admittedly already knew the basic differences between meteors and asteroids, but I had never heard of a meteor being a fireball or boloid. It's always interesting to learn something new.
Unfortunately, I didn't have my phone to take a video, so you'll have to take my word for it. Well, you'll have to take the word of over 100 people that witnessed and reported the event. How do I know that? Anyone can log such an event online at https://www.amsmeteors.org. If enough people report an event, the organization will verify if the phenomenon is legitimate or something else, if I understand correctly. You can also see a map of all reports for any event, including the event I witnessed.
Edit: Here’s an article with video:
https://www.amsmeteors.org/2018/08/fireball-over-missouri-on-august-27th/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Genetic algorithms and the Zodiac killer’s 340 cipher
A few weeks ago there was a Travel Channel special about the Zodiac killer hosted by the Mysteries at the Museum guy. As usual, I actually...
-
A few weeks ago there was a Travel Channel special about the Zodiac killer hosted by the Mysteries at the Museum guy. As usual, I actually...
-
It’s a great time to be a musician. The ability to self-publish and record at home has opened doors for musicians that were closed to al...
No comments:
Post a Comment